Saturday, 6 December 2008

Revelations

Call it what you will. A realisation, a revelation, an epiphany. The other day, I had one. 

I was texting Isaiah, and I had sent him a text that his girlfriend read. I hadn't intended it as flirty, but she obviously took it that way. I got a text from him a few moments later that said, "holy shit. My girlfriend just read that. I'm in trouble." Fear shot through me.

I realised that I didn't want to be that girl. I don't want to be the other woman. I don't want to be the girl that breaks up a couple (especially a couple with a baby on the way). He managed to convince her that we were just friends, a role that I am now more than happy to fill. Now more than ever he's going to need a friend and I've realised that I want to be a part of his life forever, and it was never going to happen if we messed around.

This was my first epiphany, and I loved it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a very mature revelation you had there. His reaction to your text is also a demonstration that he really is not on the edge of breaking up with her. He's going through the same thing every new father goes through, especially acute at that age. "Oh my god what have I done and how do I escape?" Its normal, don't judge him for it, but don't facilitate it either.

I'm glad you realized this. It will make for happier circumstances going forward, and you won't ever feel like your first time was at the expense of someone else's relationship.

a girl said...

You don't want to be "the other woman." I admire your epiphany.

"Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace."
~Oscar Wilde

:)