Wednesday, 2 December 2009

What's Love Got to Do With It?

I'm still not really sure what love is, to be honest. I'm pretty sure I love Jake, and being away from him is horrible, but with this being my first love, I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to feel.

A lot of people have said that love is all consuming, that it takes you over and is all you can think about. I wouldn't say this is true for me. Yes, Jake's often on my mind, especially as we are so far apart at the moment, but I don't feel the need to constantly declare my love for him or tell him how much I miss him - in fact, when he was going through a week patch last weekend, and every text said "I miss you," or something along those lines, I got a little freaked out.

I don't want our love to become obsessive. I don't want to only see him all the time, and he's the same. Sure, seeing each other more often than we see other people is likely, but we have other friends and different interests, and we believe that it's important to keep hold of them. I want to be the object of his affection, but not the only object.

If someone asked me to define love, I'd probably say it was the feeling of security that I have when I'm with him. When I'm wrapped in his arms, nothing can go wrong. It's how he makes me feel- beautiful, whether fully clothed or naked. He's not afraid to tell me the truth, and not afraid to tell me to stop complaining (something I do far too often).

So I'm still not sure what love is, if it's supposed to be all consuming, or if it's just that feeling of security. Either way, I'm happy with how I feel at the moment.

P.S. I'd love to hear what you think love is.

1 comment:

LR said...

You may be on track kiddo:

One must truly know, love and be happy spending time with oneself, before one can be in love and be loved;

i.e. being able to spend long hours focused on one’s study, career, hobbies and healthy activities (e.g. sports) without caring or worrying about love.

perhaps see Love poetry at
http://www.magickallgateway.net/poetry/indexPoetry.html