Thursday, 16 July 2009

USA and Re O Week.

I didn't realise that I'd get so many strong reactions to my decision to go to the States next year. I want to go somewhere different, and I've heard that Canada is a lot like New Zealand, only colder. Britain is the mother country, so a lot of our ideals and beliefs come from there. The United States of America, however, is truly a different place. Different foods, different ideas about society - plus I'm very interested in American history, so that's my reasoning for going there. Plus it means I can see Max again, which is merely an added bonus. I will not be going to the same university as him, and I'll be in a completely different state, so I'll still have to make new friends etc.

I'm back at uni now and we're coming to the end of Re-O week, which is a downgraded version of O Week. Last night I went to a fluoro party, and tonight we're all dressing in white for the White Out Party. On Tuesday night I got a back draught - a shot that they light on fire, and catch all the alcohol fumes in a glass, while sprinkling cinnamon over the flames. You then have to do the shot through a straw, and then suck up all the alcohol fumes. Straight after the shot there is a period of about ten minutes that I cannot remember a thing. Needless to say I will never do another one of those again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I'll say is that people often come here and think they can easily 'see all the major sights'. The problem is that if you go to Michigan you can't visit the Grand Canyon. If you go to Washington you can forget going to Los Angeles, and certainly not New York City or Miami. The nation is huge, and people rarely realize that.

Wherever you go, make certain that it is within a few hundred miles of the major sights you'd like to see otherwise you'll be out of luck.

Anonymous said...

The United States has been a blight on the planet since their crazy founding brothers in arms declared they have a Divine Right to dominate the world and have been going at it tooth and nail for decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_the_United_States

By all means go and see it during the collapse and fall of the American empire after only 70 years.

Niels said...

I've been to the states a couple of times, it does have its beautiful spots and very nice people. But as a whole I wouldn't want to live in that country for any extended period of time. If you are looking to expand your horizon for a year of study, try Europe. It's much more Liveral, free and more culture and history than you can poke a stick at :-) (I should know as I'm from the Netherlands)

Feel free to drop me an email if you would like some info on Europe and studying there! Aussies and kiwi's are always welcome!