Thursday, 15 January 2009

A Piece of Cake

This is the second blog I wrote while I was away.

I just finished a book that I think may have changed my life. A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown is the harrowing true story of a girl, who at the age of eleven is thrust into the social welfare system after the tragic death of her mother. By the age of fifteen, Cupcake has already been raped, abused, turned tricks and tried an array of drugs.

It sounds horrible - and it is. You read in horrid fascination as Cupcake's life goes from bad to worse, yet it's surprisingly enjoyable. Then one day, she catches sight of herself in a shop window and she realises that she needs help, or she'll die.

I won't tell you what happens, but if you only read one book in 2009, make sure it's this one. Cupcake's story has made me realise a few things: that if you're in shit, chances are it's not as bad as what she went through; that no matter what sort of hell-hole you're in, you CAN get out; and that it's ok to ask for help.

Read it. You won't forget it.

P.S - If you ever want to email me to ask questions or suggest blog topics, they're always welcome. Sixteensecrets@gmail.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool, booktips, always welcome! I've put it on my wishlist. If you like stories about personal growth etc. I have a good tip for you: The Breeders Box by Timothy Murphy, excellent read!

Anonymous said...

Try reading Wendy Merrill's "Falling Into Manholes" next - it may be an eye opener for the person I read in this Blog. www.fallingintomanholes.com

MagWiz