Monday, 15 October 2007

Friends Until the End?

Isn't it funny how the friends we take for granted are the ones who are there for you when you need it most? I discovered this when I dived into an ocean and quickly found myself way over my head. Who were the life savers that dived in after me or threw me a life ring? It wasn't the people I sit with in class. It wasn't the people I spend my lunch hour with, day after day. No. It was the girl who I often disregard, unsure if I really like. It was the girl I chat with about the state of the world. It was the guy I talk to before school and online because my other friends don't like him because of a fully flung crush he had on a girl who did not deserve his affections.
It made me wonder about who my real friends are. What makes a real friend? I thought I knew. I thought I had them - heaps of them, in fact. But when not one of them reached into my dark ocean, but left me to sink into the icy depths, I began to think that these cannot be true friends. Friends, yes, but not people I can rely on. So can my life savers be my real friends when you didn't always like them before? And then if I decide that my other friends aren't friends, what do I do? Do I stop hanging round with them? But for all the stress and anguish they can cause, they are a fun group.
I'm in a dilemma.

No comments: