Sunday, 31 January 2010

A Common Belief?

Once again, another day was spent people watching at work. Today - being a Sunday, I noticed all the people dressed nicely, wandering through the mall after church. It got me thinking about religion.

Jake is a New Apostolic Christian, my parents were -for awhile - regular Anglican church-goers. My older sister is an atheist, my little sister a Christian who reads the Bible, but doesn't agree with all it says.

What do I believe? I wouldn't describe myself as a Christian - I don't believe in all it's ideals, and I find it can be quite judgmental. However, I do believe in something, and I do hold some Christian ideals. I used to believe in reincarnation, but after the death of my Nana, I stopped. I don't imagine her as being reborn. I like to think of her in a better place - Heaven perhaps.
I don't think I believe in Hell. Instead, I think that if you don't deserve to go to this 'better place, you are simply dead. No afterlife for you. I believe that if overall, you live a good life - no murdering, raping, extortion, you donate to charity once in awhile etc - you will get to this 'better place.'
I don't believe that things like sex before marriage, having children out of wedlock and homosexuality will affect your chances. To me, these things are not signs of having lived a 'bad' life, just another life with different paths.

I live with the belief that if you do good things, good things will come to you, and I don't think that's a bad way to live my life.

No comments: