Monday, 16 June 2008

Good News and Bad

It's been an incredible weekend, let me tell you. 

It was Friday 13th, and that was when Mum got her results back. Unlucky 13 no more! Her results were clear. Turns out the change in her mammogram was just that - a change. Mum said it was because she was getting old, and I replied, "thank God!"

Then Saturday night was the worst day of my life. At about 4.30, her mum (Nana to me) was out in her garden when she suffered from a progressive stroke. She managed to tell Granddad off for getting her a pillow from inside, and got him to take her gardening gloves off before they put in her in the ambulance. However, things got worse and when I got to the hospital with my older sister (we'd been watching Sex and the City at the movies), she was unconscious.

At about 2.10am, my parents, my sister, my cousin, my grandfather and I had to say goodbye to Nana. Her breathing throughout the night had become more slow, and eventually she didn't breathe again. Seeing my grandfather kiss her goodbye was the most harrowing experience of my life. None of us had expected this; Nana was as healthy as a horse and her mother had lived to 94. It seems as though he life was cut short at just 76.

Seeing my granddad and mum so distraught is what is destroying me. My grandparents were married for 54 years, and now his other half is gone. Not only that, but the light from his eyes is gone. I hope it can return.

It's been an intense week for me. Nothing bad has ever really happened to me, but when the shit hits the fan, it isn't distributed evenly. 

2 comments:

The Flash said...

I'm so sorry.

The degree of care you've expressed for your family over the last few weeks shows how close you must be, and I'm sure your Nana had a lot of happiness in her life from you.

Anonymous said...

I've been lurking a while ... wasn't really planning to post, but oh well.

Death is a strange thing. As we travel through life our hearts and minds become accustomed to the presence of those we love.
Losing someone hurts, no matter the reason or method, but I suppose we can be grateful for small mercies... you had the opportunity to say goodbye, and it was a relatively peaceful end.
As wrong as it sounds, perhaps it would have caused more pain had the stroke been the beginning of a slow collapse.

It's quite unusual for me to feel such a strong resonant feeling from someone online, which goes quite a way on complimenting you your writing and expressiveness.
It also necessitated a break from my usual habits.

I will leave you with a saying and a hug.

This, too, shall pass.
*hug*